Where I’ve been, in alphabetical order. (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
I know, it doesn’t really count.
I was there while doing work with the Naco-Bisnee Mural Project and Naco Wellness Initiative.
States visited: 30/51 (that is, actually visited, including DC - driving through and airports do not count)
National parks visited: 10/63
Includes: Minerva, Lake Placid
Visits: 2020, 2021
Minerva is a super cute little town, and a great place to stay when visiting during the fall.
- climbing Mount Marcy and exploring the High Peaks Wilderness
- hanging out at the lakes, kayaking, swimming, etc.
- xc skiing and snow-shoeing
- walking out oon Mirror Lake
- ride a hot air balloon
- hike to see petroglyphs
- get food at the grocery coop
Visit: 2021, 2022
- Biscuit Head
- Quatations (chill coffeeshop in Brevard)
- Moog Museum
- kayaking the French Broad - more like a lazy river than anything
- waking up early to watch the sun rise over the Blue Ridge mountains
Quick notes: Like Lexington, but if they turned everything way up to 11 and didn’t make any changes to the underlying infrastructure. I stayed in South Austin, which was nice, but due to my lack of a car, it might have been better to stay closer to the city center and north of the river.
- Looking down Congress Ave to see the pink limestone state capitol building, even though they pass tons of awful laws there
- Electric Church (rad psych rock indoor/outdoor venue I heard about from my Lyft driver) + De Nada Cantina (a nearby spot with excellent chips ‘n queso)
- BBQ outside of town
A cute little artist town, down by the border. It has a nice little main street, where I purchased some Buddha-shaped candles. I was there to participate in a binational art project called the Naco-Bisbee Mural Project.
Visits: twice in 2021, thrice in 2016, and once in 2014
In 2021, time I went to Pitchfork and saw two bands I was looking forward to. Animal Collective kind-of stunk, but Yaeji ttotally blew me away. I also got to see the Cubs, which was a lot of fun.
A lot of good stuff is on the Blue line. Good food, good music, good times.
Visits: 2016, 2018, 2021
Things to do:
- King’s Island
- Findlay Market
- Red Rocks
- Davies’ Check Wagon Diner
- City, ‘O City’
- Meow Wolf
Includes: Berkeley, Casto Valley, Oakland
- Chapel of the Chimes (Oakland)
- Urban Ore (Berkeley)
- Burma Superstar (Oakland)
- Golden Tee Golfland (Castro Valley)
Mostly a tourist trap, but there are some good restaurants on the non-Key West islands. Also, make sure to check out the natural beaches on the State Park key.
- Redux Books (and Argos nextdoor)
- Bitter End (coffee shop w/ great vibe)
- Fulton Street Bar and Grill (try their vegan breakfast sandy at Sunday brunch)
- The weird fictional historcal signage
Includes: Beacon, Cold Springs, Poughkeepsie Visits: numerous from 2018-2021
Includes: Carmel, Fishers
Visits: 2018, 2021
Plenty of stuff missing, but…
- Bourbon & Toulouse
- CD Central
- Institute 193
- Plenty of cool venues
Visits: 2010, 2016, 2022
Visits: 2014, 2015, 2020
Quick notes: I went with my friend on a cold, rainy day in the off-season. We were pretty much soaked through, but we had the island pretty much to ourselves.
After trying to avoid the horse sh*t and brownish, melting ice-slush, we went up to see Arch Rock, Fort Holmes, and Skull Cave. Then we tried to dry off a bit at the Mustang Lounge before taking the noon-thirty ferry back to the mainland, where we then drove home through a blizzard. Good times.
Visits: 2016, 2021
The endless hallways of the Minneapolis skyway system feel like an open world video game. There should be an action movie filmedin them, if there isn’t one already.
- Flour Tower @ Mill City Museum
- Walker Art Center
- Mercado Central
- Mall of America (for the rides)
Incredible weather, beautiful beaches. No wonder all the rich people live there. Felt less like Big Little Lies than I expected.
- 17-Mile Drive
- the beach!
New York City
Residence: 2018-2021, 2022-present
Visits: 2017, 2021
see New York City
Visits: 2016, 2022
- Japanese garden
- Making Worlds bookstore
- Mutter Museum
- Barnes Foundation
- Raxx Vintage
- Japanese Garden
- this one place that sells artisal teas
An amazing place to be on Halloween.
The Mission was cool.
- The Knockout
- The botanical and Japanese gardens
Visits: 2015, 2021
The (Great) Smoky Mountains
Many many visits. More info to come someday when I have a chance.
Includes: Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smokey Mountains National Park
- Point Reyes National Seashore
- Got to see Thundercat and Herbie Hancock live in Napa Valley. It was an outdoor concert and we couldn’t believe they turned Herbie down at 10pm sharp.
Visits: 2013, 2014
- City Museum
- botanical gardens
- Sleeping Bear Dunes
- free samples at Cherry Republic
- xc skiing at Hickory Hills
- Slabtown Burgers
- J&S diner brunch
- 7 Monks
- eating premade frosty the snowman sugar cookies while watching the GBBO holiday special
Includes: Burlington, Montpelier, Waterbury Visit: 2019
Visits: 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021
- Suns Cinema
I wish I could have spent more time here! But I greatly enjoyed exploring the valley and hiking up to the top of Half Dome.